Thursday, May 04, 2006

Summer holiday book update

The holidays started on the 25th, and it's so good to be reading regularly again! The book-a-day thing hasn't happened, but books deserve more than that anyway.

So far I have read:

Guy Gavriel Kay - Tigana
Already wrote about this on both blogs...see previous post.

Robert Holdstock - Mythago Wood
This was a reread of a book that impressed me very much a few years ago. I liked it a lot this time too. D is being all wonderful and ordered the sequel thingy (Lavondyss) online for me. I think this book needs a separate post, so I'll do that next week.

Ursula LeGuin - The Earthsea Quartet
I didn't read these when I should have. As a child I think I would have loved them. As an adult, while I think the stories and ideas are brilliant (and some of the writing's really good) it often feels abrupt, like she's trying to pack too much story into a child-sized book. But. Well. Tis good.

Julian Barnes - Before She Met Me
Terribly amusing. There was much joy at Jai's mass wank line (yes I must insist on naming it after him) and the protagonist's disgust with one of his wife's former lovers who gave her Peake's Gormenghast. Personally, I would've dumped the wife and located this Gormenghast-giver; he is obviously someone I'd much rather be in a relationship with.

Tomorrow I am off to Darjeeling with the parents for a week of tea drinking and reading. I'm taking Sandor Marai's Embers, Joseph Campbell's Primitive Mythology, Nagarkar's Ravan and Eddie, and (rereads) Waugh's Brideshead Revisited and Ripley Bogle by Robert McLiam Wilson, two of my favourite books.

See you next weekend.

3 comments:

Jabberwock said...

I have a line named after me! *preens, wipes tear off cheek*

roswitha said...

As an aside, one of Julian Barnes' wives (not sure if it's the same woman) left him for Jeanette Winterson.

Maybe she was the Ghormenghast-giver?

Abhijit Gupta said...

ahaha, at last someone who likes Gormenghast. it restores my faith in humanity.